Wednesday, August 4, 2010

1 Month into the ‘Rest of My Life’

Tomorrow marks 2 weeks since I arrived in Brazil, and exactly 1 calendar month since I left Australian shores. I’m currently in a little Brazilian city called Leme in Sao Paulo state. I watched my first official sunrise (in my whole life) this morning with my boyfriend from our hotel balcony. I have experienced many ‘firsts’ with him, and I know there are many more to come. The air is much thicker in Sao Paulo state, but I’m not sure why... and that scares me a little. This little town is lively with people, kids on bikes play in the street at night, the streets are clean, people live in proper houses – the community vibe is just lovely here. Diogenes is at a traineeship program again, and I’m having a few moments to myself. So how I am feeling on my one month anniversary of the ‘rest of my life’? I was a little sad to miss my mother’s birthday and miss not being able to see/call friends and family whenever I want. But I’ve travelled a lot my whole life, and know that my connection to ‘home’ will never fade, no matter where I am or how long I’ve been away. I’m currently enjoying existing in a state of ‘unknowns’, and I feel like I am only at the very beginning of a very long journey. It’s both a little scary and exhilarating at the same time.

This week has been quite a social week, as well as a productive week. Diogenes and are I are starting to see clear, definitive light at the end of the tunnel in terms of ‘what happens next’. The light is still a little hazy for me to properly communicate, but watch this space. I went to a Bikram Yoga class on Monday night. There is only one Bikram Yoga Centre in the whole of Brazil, with a tiny yet gorgeous studio that fits about 10 people (max!). It really revitalised and grounded me after a month of travelling and uncertainty. The instructor had lived in the US for 15 years, and most people in the class spoke fluent English so I felt really included and ‘at home’. Despite the fact everyone is so lovely here, everyone speaks Portuguese, and it can be a little isolating at times. Most people I’ve met CAN speak English, and some DO speak it, but most revert back to Portuguese in a matter of minutes. English is not integrated here in Brazil the same way it is in Europe or Asia. But... I am slowly learning, and my comprehension is getting much better. I have few problems with reading, albeit the grammar still confuses me, and I am actually starting to speak Portuguese in conversations as well. It’s hard when your boyfriend speaks English because all you want to do is talk/communicate with him, and so our Portuguese training often gets neglected. Nevertheless I am meeting his parents tomorrow (who don’t speak English at all) so hopefully we can practice a little more on our 7-8 hour drive home tomorrow. All Di’s friends have been very welcoming and we were invited to go to a family party of one of his friends. The party took place on a country style ranch, with lots of beautiful animals, amazing decorations (for a 2 year olds birthday!) and delicious home-made cakes and a traditional Brazilian BBQ. It was very typical ‘Brazilian’ and it was definitely one of the highlights of my week. Oh, and another highlight is that I smoked a hookah pipe for the first time too!

Like usual there are a lot of things I’d like to say, but have not yet found the words for them. My perceptions are changing daily, and even my ‘educated’ perceptions about poverty, globalisation, capitalism, environmentalism and sustainable development and governance are continuously being shaped day by day. We have been watching Brazilian movies about politics, ghetto life and the harsh realities of aspects of Brazilian life. Not to mention driving across the country also opens my eyes to many new sights. The social problems here in the bigger cities and high-density poverty areas in cities (the countryside poverty is a little more humble), are just incomprehensible for me. I can’t explain how ‘shocking’ it is, because I had read many books and many words about this before coming, but until you witness it for yourself it’s impossible to understand. Until you actually take part in the society, it’s just impossible. My Brazilian experience is going to deepen again when we go to Pato Branco, Di’s hometown, on the weekend for a week or so, and the pursue some more travelling for a few weeks after that. All in all, I feel very satisfied with my first month of the rest of my life. A good beginning, I would say.

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog!!
    It seem's like i'm singing hehe
    by
    Franci e Fabiano

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe - Hookah Rock Star! Thanks for stopping by :-)

    ReplyDelete