Wednesday, October 27, 2010

11/11

11:11 is a number that I have a strong connection with. I often see it on the clock when I glance at the time for no apparent reason. Spiritual folk have described witnessing 11:11 on the clock as a moment when one’s conscious and subconscious mind are at one; a moment where you are in an extraordinary state of awareness. Seeing 11:11 on the clock gives me great peace in knowing that I am exactly where I am meant to be; where I am is 100% the right time and place. 11/11 is also my birthday.

My birthday has become somewhat of a spiritual moment for me. I always feel significant changes in my life start around my birthday and which often are concreted into place around New Years Eve. I am finally ending a 7 year cycle of change (my 21st year), and am excited for what the New Year will bring. My birthday comes at a time before all the hustle and bustle of Christmas, at the change of the seasons – be it spring to summer in the Southern Hemisphere or fall to winter in the Northern, and at the end of a journey and the beginning of a new one.

I always become very reflective and sentimental around this time of year, and I like to look back and reflect on my growth. I recently crafted a ‘photo wall’ comprised of a collection of photos from over the past year. Every night since erecting it I stare at it for at least half an hour. It is a form of meditation; a way for me to feel grateful for my life and all the people in it.



MY YEAR:
The photo wall starts with photos from my 21st birthday last year; a very significant day for anyone. I remember feeling at peace come my 21st. Despite it being organized last minute because I didn’t know whether I’d be in Canberra or Perth, my closest friends in Canberra made my day really special. It was a good way to say thanks for the previous 4 years of university together as well. My birthday was around the time my boyfriend officially asked me out and we started our life together. Just a week or two later, I graduated from university with First Class Honors and felt a tremendous sense of achievement and closure of that part of my life. My mum was there to celebrate it with me and I remember feeling really appreciative of all her support over my whole life. I said goodbye to Canberra and university life, and Diógenes and I travelled to Sydney to enjoy the surf and the sun before venturing on a long journey by car from east to west Australia. We camped in the desert, never ran out of conversation and cemented our relationship in stone. We arrived in Perth just in time for Christmas with my whole family, and went sailing to Rottnest Island and enjoyed the beautiful Australian Summer. My grandmother from Germany was visiting Australia for the first time and it was also the first time we celebrated Christmas together. One of my favorite pictures is with me and all the important women in my life; my mother, step-mum, and two grandmothers. New Years Eve was a very special time when some of my oldest and closest friends whom I grew up with ventured down on a camping road trip to the Margaret River Surf & Wine region of Western Australia. We spent almost a week touring, having fun and enjoying the peace of the Australian bush & ocean and catching up on old times. I realized that I was lucky to have made such amazing friends in this life; friends I will love and cherish forever. Settling back into life in Perth, I celebrated Australia Day with my cousin, one of my best friends, and felt appreciative of my home country and all that was Australian. At this stage I knew that I would be leaving Australia for a while and this day was important for me to recognize and connect to my heritage. Over the following months I worked to save money for my overseas adventure, and in the meantime made friends with a beautiful bunch of people from all over the world. One of my greatest memories with these folk was travelling to Lancelin and running amok in the sand dunes overlooking the ocean; being completely free and uninhibited, laughing and loving life.  In the mix of it all, I flew to Bali for Easter and met my half-sister for the first time since she was a baby and I was a young girl. This was an incredible moment to connect with a part of me I had longed to reunite with for a long time. We formed an amazing bond and I am proud to say I have a sister (a fantastic one, at that)! As time approached for me to leave Australia I felt at peace with my family, particularly my Dad who I had really deepened my relationship with. A few weeks before I left Australia, my step-mum finally went into remission from a chronic and rare form of Leukemia after battling the cancer with chemotherapy and the like over roughly 6 years. To see her recover was an amazing goodbye present. She really helped me grow into myself and discover my spirituality over the few months I was back in Perth. Speaking of spirituality, I met some amazing beauties and was taken in to their family on my path to connect with God/the Divine who really inspired me by not only talking the talk, but walking the walk, of loving and giving peace to the present moment and everything in this universe. My mother and maternal grandmother were incredibly supportive to me and I tried to spend as much time with them as possible, doing humble things but nevertheless appreciating every moment. There are no words to explain how much I love them. My mum in particular was (and always has been and always will be) my best friend. I spent many an afternoon walking along Cottesloe beach with my best friend Emy philosophizing about life and recognizing how important our friendship is to each other. My dogs aged rapidly before my eyes; one becoming completely blind and the other completely deaf. Without much longer to live, I enjoyed the simple pleasures of walking them every day and sitting with them in the park cuddling and playing, knowing that it would be the last time I would see them once I left Australian shores. I particularly had difficulty parting with my dog Chloe, my companion since I was a young girl, who has always been there for me through the good and the bad. My cat as well. Saying goodbye to my animals really felt like a chapter in my life had ended, and I had to let go and go forward. I celebrated my last few weeks in Australia spending as much time as possible with the people I loved the most, and celebrated with a farewell party (or three), who I can primarily thank my mum for arranging. And that was that, goodbye Australia. I headed overseas to Norway and fell in love with the Nordic life once again. I went to Lene and Sven’s beautiful white-tie gala wedding and danced a Polynesian waltz for the first time. I learnt a lot about the World and my passion for travel and learning about other cultures was ignited strongly once again. I landed in Germany a week later and had an incredibly meaningful time with my grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles. For the first time in my life, I felt really a deep connection with my German family and I will never forget my time there.  This was a very important and special week for me. Shortly after, I arrived in Brazil in an attempt to build a life there with my boyfriend. We spent a couple of months touring the south of Brazil; learning and participating in Brazilian life and culture; enjoying the good and bad of life in Brazil together. I made some amazing friends and have memories for a lifetime. I’ve written extensively about my journey since leaving Australian shores in this blog. So another year is coming to an end and Diógenes I are now living in the United States. Both of us have jobs and are quickly moving up the ranks. We are starting to build new friendships, new lives and new memories that in a year I will be able to reflect upon as just the beginning of a much longer journey.

Sometimes a year can pass us by so quickly, and we are not really sure what we have done or achieved; we all know what it feels like to have life speed past us. So that is why my birthday is an important day for me. It is a moment for me to really appreciate all that has been since 11/11 the year prior. I can honestly say that this has been one of the best years of my life. The love I feel for my family and friends is overwhelming. Despite being on the other side of the world, I feel closer and more connected to those I love than ever before. I feel like I have matured a lot emotionally. I have found my feet and I am proud to be who I am. I am proud of my family, I am proud of my home, I am proud of my friends, and I am proud of what I have achieved in this life and I am proud of the woman I have become.

In many ways, this blog post is to say thanks to all the special people in my life and who have made this one of the most special and monumental years of my life; helping me really establish my roots & my identity as I transitioned into my own person... and helping me find a deep appreciation for the people that make my life important. There will never been enough words to suffice how important each and every one of you are to me… Your love and support is the greatest birthday present I could have ever asked for this 11/11. Thank you. 

4 comments:

  1. I always think of you after my 11/11 minute of silence. That I do every year regardless of location.
    You are a beautiful person Sarah. And very blessed.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Talitha! I forgot to mention my trip down to Mandurah to catch up with a darling old friend who it never seems to matter where we are in the world or how long we don't see each other is still special in my heart! YOU! Lots of love. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always think of you when I see the clock at 11.11. That happens at least once a week. True! and thanks for being in your blog. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Miss America :) jokesss...

    So I'm at uni at the moment, and I'm in the midst of studying for my exams, and I had this sudden urge to write to you (well, to be fair, I have been sitting here studying for 3 and 3/4 hours now)... :) It was good to talk to you last night (well that would be this morning for you wouldn't it)... even if it was for just a little bit. No joke though, your accent is veryyyyyy American now hehe :D it's cool!! You're going to have such a mashed up accent by the end of this whole travelling and living abroad experience aren't you?! :D... perhaps directing this to "Miss International" would be more appropriate :)

    Accent aside, I just want to tell you how proud I am to have you as my best friend... I began writing this as an e-mail to you, and now I'm writing it on your blog in response to this post in particular because you really have accomplished a lot... on a personal scale... and I think that the relevance of 11/11 in your life is pretty significant in the grand scheme of things. I'm glad it triggers an urge to reflect and feel pride in the many accomplishments you have made, and the things you have overcome. Your strength is awe-inspiring in itself, when considering the adversity life has sometimes thrown your way, and the multitude of decisions and choices life gives every one of us - it is remarkable that you have set out and achieved so much.

    Like your Dad and Talitha, and many other people out there whose lives you have no doubt touched: I too get reminded of you when the clock shows "11:11", and especially when the date draws near.

    Having you as a friend - my best friend - is like having this person in your life who you trust and value so deeply, to 'accidentally' - and purposely - teach you things about yourself and the world that you were never aware of... having you in my life - near, far, wherever-.. wait that was about to be the lyrics of the theme song of Titanic, a comparisson I do not want to make at all :\ lol - well it really does make me feel special to be able to share things with someone that I don't get to - let alone want to - share and discuss with other people, in a way that makes me question the questions we have towards life, and one another. And yes, I will never forget walks with you on Cottesloe beach... very good times...

    Well, that's all for now... I hope we get to talk soon... until then, I'll be thinking of you, in each future encounter I share with 11:11, and all the times inbetween.

    xoxoxoxox

    Thank you for blessing my life with your presence... even when you're not here in person:

    Cliff has made me realise something that I do... I (very often) make references to "what would Sarah do" or "what would Sarah think/say" in situations or circumstances that I am faced with. I suppose I do it when I need guidance or a stronger understanding of the scenario... Didn't really realise I had been doing it that much (or at all in a conscious sense), but when he said it, it made me smile and feel a greater sense of pride in our friendship - a friendship that goes "across every ocean".. :)

    ReplyDelete