Thursday, December 16, 2010

Ski Accident

OK, word is out. I am bed-bound. Diogenes, Mario (Di's housemate and colleague) and I ventured up to the snow for the first time this season. The boys had never skied before and by the end of the day were rocking it! They both picked it up incredibly quickly. I was a very proud mother duck. However, I was not so fortunate in my tales. It was a combination of many factors: ill-fitted skis, ice on the slopes, black diamond slope, lack of practice/warm-up, skis that did not release, that caused me to have my worst injury on record. I don't remember how it happened, but all I remember are the thoughts going through my mind, in slow-motion, as I fell down the mountain, twisted up in my skis. I was lifted down on the back of a snow-mobile as I couldn't use my left leg. It was both fun, yet embarrassing. Luckily, I was saved by Grace, and merely tore a muscle and did some soft tissue damage in my quad. I feel my recent yoga efforts saved me from any ligament damage or broken bones. I am on crutches and making a slow but progressive recovery. I am getting movement back in my leg, and slowly retraining the muscles to walk (and I am hoping by the end of the week to walk up stairs - I hope I am not being too ambitious). I am in high-spirits and using my time to catch up my blog, read, practice some languages, and hopefully start/finish writing a journal article I've been begging for time to write for months now. Below are some happy snaps of our short-lived time up the mountain.



No comments:

Post a Comment