Monday, October 17, 2011

Hong Kong Layover.

One of my favourite parts about airports is all the time you have to sit and wait. There are very few moments in life (at least in my life) where you can just sit and wait. Hong Kong International Airport is a fantastic place to sit and wait. In fact, they even have special lounges designed for making the most out of your time sitting and waiting. For a reasonable fee, you can gain entry into luxurious ‘Traveler’s Lounges’ located around the airport. I purchased the 5 hour package, and here I sit listening to jazz in a dim-lit, rather charming room. I just had a shower (a much, much, much needed shower – see last blog post), a complimentary massage and I am feeling quite content from a traditional Chinese buffet. In a while I might go and get a complimentary drink from the bar and take a nap in the sleep carriages provided. Jealous much? Myself 2 hours ago would have been. When I initially landed in Hong Kong, I never thought I would make it to Perth. I was hungover, my skin felt oily (you know that oil your body only seems to produce in aeroplanes – it makes your hair and skin feel like you haven’t showered in days), I was even more tired than before my ‘nap’ on the plane and, all in all, I just felt like crawling up into a ball somewhere and calling it quits. And then… (drum roll)… I found the Travelers Lounge. So, here I sit and wait, with a big grin on my face; fresh skin, clean hair, brushed teeth, relaxed shoulders and a happy belly. Australians and Kiwis are everywhere and it’s a weird sensation not being the only one with an accent anymore. I’m starting to realise that I am going to have to prepare myself for a reverse-culture shock. I’ve been ‘foreign’ for 1.5 years and now I have to drop that identity completely. I still have a few hours until my flight leaves and I am grateful this leg of the journey is a bit shorter than the last. It’s now less than 12 hours until I’ll be home and I get to start the rest of my life again... again. For the time being though, I am going to embrace this opportunity to just sit and wait and enjoy doing exactly that. Thank you Hong Kong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment